Arugula, Beet & Goat-Cheese Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes (optional)
From Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine, this is a wonderful salad especially if beets are abundant. There are many versions out there on the web, but I love the combination of the cheese, arugula and beets!
- 1 Tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 15 oz. beets, cooked & sliced
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 6 oz. goat cheese
- 8 oz. arugula
- 2 oz. frisee
- Optional: Toast walnuts in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to bring out their flavor.
- In a small bowl, whisk together finely chopped shallot, vinegar, fresh OJ, and oil; season with salt & pepper. Place canned or fresh cooked beets in a small bowl. Pour 1/3 od the dressing over beets; toss to coat.
- Place finely chopped walnuts in a shallow dish. With your hands, form goat cheese into 12 equal balls. Roll balls in walnuts, turning to coat completely, then flatten into disks.
- Place arugula in a large bowl. Tear frisee into large pieces, and add to bowl. Drizzle greens with remaining dressing, and toss to combine. Divide among plates, and top each serving with some sliced beets and 3 goat-cheese disks.